Pages

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day Weekend


Thank goodness for long weekends!  In a place like this, it isn't hard to find things to soak up every minute of your day. And so, in recognition of Labor Day, Jared and I took full advantage of the three days. On Saturday, we went paddle boarding, which is my new favorite way to enjoy the beautiful waters of the Florida Keys. It was a very windy day. Jared says the wind was blowing at about 12 knots. I have no idea how fast that is. What I do know is on the way out, the wind was at our backs and it was smooth sailing. We made it to the mangroves in no time at all and got to see all kinds of marine life- horseshoe crabs, Cassiopeia jellyfish, and coral.  But, the way back was a different story. It took us forever. Standing up to paddle was no longer an option, Our bodies became “sails”, holding us back. So, we lay down and turned our paddle boards into very large surf boards, and paddled (no oar) our way back- not easy! I’m definitely not in shape for that!

On Sunday, we drove up to Bahia Honda for some snorkeling. Again, it was a very windy day. The sand was stirred up by the wind, limiting visibility, but we didn’t mind. We were still able to see all kinds of life. Mostly small coral heads and conchs. After snorkeling, we walked along the beach, which is one of my favorite things to do. Jared had to remind me over and over not to pick up any shells or drift wood. I wanted to so badly, but apparently, it’s against the rules and my wonderful husband is a rule guy! My favorite part of the day: Playing in the water like a couple of kids. There may have been some Dirty Dancing style lifts going on! What a perfect day. 












That night, we met up with friends down in Key West. A nice way to end a perfect day- with live music and good friends!

Hogs breath is better than no breath at all!


Love this! We saw this van parked along the beach. An old war vet lived in it. He was watching the sunset and seemed happy as a clam.

Monday was a lazy day. We hung out around the house, which was fine with me. I spent time in the yard, feeding the fish, picking weeds, and just being amazed at the beauty around me. I spent time indoors too. I wrote some lesson plans, watched a little TV and read a magazine. For dinner, Jared grilled shrimp on the bbq and we had corn and baked potatoes.

It really was the perfect weekend. The perfect, three day weekend


















2 comments:

  1. Your blog is heaven on earth! I love the header, and the pictures of the wonderful little getaway is fabulous! Here I live in Houston where the weather is hot and the ocean is nasty... can I live with you? Just for, I don't know, FOREVER!

    Great blog! Look forward to more in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thank you Jen. Your words mean more to me than you know. It is nice here. So much to do and see. Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully hearing from you again!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete