Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2011 Another Year Lived and Loved (and a SURPRISE!)



In 2011, I decided I would begin taking pictures. Not just pictures of big events or wild nights out with friends like I've always done, but the day-to-day stuff. The tiny inspirations that adorn our day and remind us that this place we call home truly is beautiful. For me, taking pictures of the things I find inspiring has caused me to slow down and find peace in my soul, even when life is noisy and confusing. I took hundreds of pictures this year, and some of my favorites are here in this post.


For me, 2011 was about strength and growth. I began to learn how to be of stronger mind and spirit and to nurture a need to grow spiritually, mentally and emotionally. I began overcoming a life-long fear of self-acceptance and started listening to a tiny voice inside telling me that I'm okay. 


The beginning of the year brought snow, time with friends and travel to new places. I saw the world from high up on a mountain and learned that the ride back down is scary, but can be quite fun. In February, I turned 30 feeling at peace, knowing that my life was right where it should be.


Spring brought time with those who are dearest to me. With spring came rebirth and renewal and a heightened sense of the world around me. 

In April, I visited my very best friend, Angela and her adorable children, Cooper and Mariah, whose big eyes and chubby cheeks fill me with such joy, I could burst. I love these little dears so much. 

Summertime began with a visit from my mom and dad, long walks taking pictures, and the end of studying for Jared. 
 
 

Summer also brought goodbyes to friends and to a place we called home for 5 years.

In June, we packed up our apartment, Jared went to Connecticut for school, and I made the drive to Tennessee leaving Virginia behind. It was the longest road trip I've taken alone...


 What is the feeling when you're driving away from people, and they recede on the plain till you see their specks dispersing? It's the too huge world vaulting us, and it's good-bye. But we lean forward to the next crazy venture beneath the skies. 
~ Jack Kerouak

In Tennessee, I spent priceless time with my beautiful nieces and nephew, wandered through thrift stores and fabric shops, grilled out on the deck, explored the woods and streams, and took time to just be with the ones I love. 

After spending the fourth of July in Savannah with Jared and his mom, we made our way to Key West. With every mile driven further into my home state I could feel something inside of me being being awakened. Coming home, no matter how long you've been gone is one of the best feelings in the world.


Home...
Home


Fall in the Keys...

Winter began with a trip to Virginia to see friends and to share some very good news...

When I came home I busy-bee'd around the house, getting ready for my favorite holiday, then Jared and I spent Christmas in the keys with our family, feeling so blessed to be here now. 

2011 also came with some big news. In September, Jared suggested that I take a pregnancy test. What a surprise when I saw a plus sign! And what an indescribable feeling to know that in 9 short months, Jared and I would be parents. It was September 19th that we realized that our lives would be changed forever. After a year of self discovery, growing and becoming stronger, the Lord had given us this beautiful gift and now, welcoming our little bird into this world is all I can think about. 

Well, That was my year. It was a great year. A very important year. This year, instead of making a new year's resolution, I've decided to choose a word that will help give meaning to each and every day I spend in 2012. 
My word this year is accept. This year I will accept everything about myself. I will accept who I've been, who I am and who I am becoming and embrace every day as a gift- living in the moment. I've chosen this word for me, but also so that when our little dove enters this world, she or he will live in a home where happiness and appreciation come from within; where patience and forgiveness are a way of life. 

Happy new year, friends. May this year be filled with happiness for you each and every day.















































4 comments:

  1. Another absolutely beautiful blog. Not only the pictures, but your words are wonderful. I can't wait to see how 2012 reveals itself. It's going to be AWESOME!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing photography and storyboard of 2011 and congratulations on your little dove! Becoming a parent is one of the most amazing things to happen to a person. Keep us posted and hope you turned this post into a book to keep forever!
    ~Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post Katie. I love your photos and am so excited for you both!! Can't wait to meet baby Trusz in a few months:)

    ReplyDelete