Pages

Sunday, February 26, 2012

American Shoal

Yesterday, Jared and I went to a place called American Shoal. It's a part of the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Jared has been a couple of times before and has told me all about how beautiful it is. I've been wanting to go so badly, but the open water can be pretty rough here in the winter, so I've reluctantly had to stay back. Finally, we had a calm day yesterday. There was barely any wind and we jumped on the opportunity to go out there. It's about 6 miles south of where we live and it's just amazing. The water is crystal clear and you can see straight down to the bottom, which is about 15 -20 feet down. Just before anchoring, we saw two Nurse sharks swimming along. That may deter some, but we were ready to get in. I haven't been able to do much snorkeling and know that it may be a while before I can go again, so it was going to take more than a nurse shark to keep me out! 

I have to preface by saying that these pictures truly do not do the reef justice.  To be in the water was just incredible. There are so many types of fish down there and they're all so colorful and lovely. 
In between dives, we got out for some water and a snack. A family of dolphins swam by which absolutely made my day. There were about ten of them and they got so close to our boat. I didn't have my camera handy, so this is the only shot I could get :(
During our second dive, I spotted a nice sized hogfish. For any of you who haven't tasted hogfish, you're in for a treat if you ever visit the Keys, because it's the best fish you'll ever eat! Anyhow, seeing this fish brought about the hunter in Jared, so we swam back to the boat. I stayed (no need to be in the water at this point) and he got his spear gun ready and went back in. 
While my Key West Man was out catching dinner, I took the opportunity to take some pictures of the bump. This is me (us) at 27 weeks, and the very last day of my second trimester.
About a half hour later, Jared came back with this hogfish. I wasn't too keen on seeing it on the spear, but I snapped a quick pic anyway. Then we headed home.
Later that night, we put together our little dove's crib. When I say we, I really mean Jared put it together. I like to think I was there for moral support though. 
Right now, her room is mainly empty. There is a small pile of clothes that my best friend, Angela sent me and some more clothes and blankets from the baby shower. I ordered curtains and a rug and they're in there as well as the beautiful bedding. I can't wait to fill her room with beautiful things- books, blankets, and other treasures that will make it just perfect. 

Today marks 28 weeks. It is the first day of the third trimester. I can't believe it. I've got lots of new thoughts running through my mind now. More on that later though. For now, I'm going to go snuggle on the couch and enjoy these last few hours before falling asleep and waking up to a new week. 







4 comments:

  1. 1. I love you! :)
    2. I love seeing pictures of that sweet girl growing in your belly! life is just amazing! :)
    3. Jared putting together that crib is amazing... he looks so happy (seriously!) and is going to be an amazing daddy!
    4. I SEE YOU IN A LITTLE OVER A MONTH!!!!!!! :)

    love you mucho mucho! and miss you like crazy!
    xox0
    -Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alyssa,
    You make me smile SO big! Can't wait to see you!
    Love,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the same crib we got Cooper (just a different finish)!! Great minds think alike:) Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are looking more adorable with each passing week! I love your photos and can't wait to go shopping for Baby Girl Trusz to fill up that nursery!!:)

    ReplyDelete