Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Time


A second is no more than a second, a minute no more than a minute, a day no more than a day. They pass. All things and all time will pass. Don’t force or fear, don’t control or lose control. Don’t fight and don’t stop fighting. Embrace and endure. 
If you embrace, you will endure. 
~James Frey
These days, I have been thinking a lot about time. Lately, it seems to be going by so quickly. But in a strange sort of way. My days go by at a normal pace, but as the week comes to an end and I realize I have completed another week in my pregnancy, I can't help but wonder where the time has gone. Sometimes, it seems like only a handful of years exist between me and the little girl I once was- building tents with my brother under the swing set in our backyard, and saying my prayers with my mom before being tucked in at night. There is a country song by Trace Atkins called You’re Gonna Miss This about the various moments in this one woman’s life and how although she may not realize it now, she will miss those moments when they are gone. Somehow, that song has a new meaning to me now. It isn’t that I haven’t cherished the moments in my life- the big moments and the small ones- it’s just that now, as this beautiful baby girl grows faster and faster in my belly each day, I can feel time moving just as fast. The reality is that just as before I was pregnant- a second really is no more than a second, a day no more than a day- all I can do is be in every moment. Treasuring in my heart this time I share with our little dove existing inside of me and looking forward to the days when she is here, a tiny human being with a beautiful life ahead of her.

My sweet baby girl, I promise to help you live your life slowly. Not to rush things. To treasure small moments, because they are so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment