Pages

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Memories

"Write everything down. Even the small things." I can't count how many times I was given that bit of advice while I was pregnant. And I have followed it. I have written so many moments down. Big moments and little ones. Hoping that by doing so, I would commit them to memory. Engrave them on my heart. So that when Emerson isn't so little, I'll remember just how special this time was.  But already, I'm beginning to forget. I didn't think I would, but it's happening.

Emerson is such a wild child and each day another part of her personality blossoms. She certainly keeps me on my toes. Always on the go-- eager to experience something new. With the constant activity sometimes it's difficult to remember what we did ten minutes ago. There certainly isn't time to write it all down and try as I might to write it on my heart, the is an inevitability that some precious memories will fade or altogether disappear.

Emerson will turn 1 year old in a few short days (gasp) and I've been hearing a lot of this: "Can you believe that almost a year has gone by? Can you believe she almost 1?" My answer is yes...and no. Motherhood has definitely shown me that time will never be seen or felt the same. Seconds, minutes, hours. Days, weeks, months. Some seem to drag on. Others are a blur. But I can say that now that it's almost here, I find myself begging time to slow down just a bit so that I can treasure it all up in my heart, so that in the future, I won't come up empty handed when I reach for the memories of these precious days.

I'm beginning to see who Emerson is and I simply love it. And although I'm excited for her next year, and the year after that... I can't help but want to hang on to this time. Right now.

So that I won't forget how special these days have been, a few small things...

Bike Rides...
She rests her tiny hand on mine as we ride. When she's ready to head home, she pulls my hand across her chest and won't let go.


Our shower...
Apparently, this is the place to be. If I leave our bedroom door opened she squeals with delight and bolts to our bathroom.


She squats...
Seriously, this kid almost never sits.


Well, sometimes she sits and when she does, she makes it look so cool :)


Birds...
She's discovered them. She constantly looks for them and loves to point them out when she's spotted one.


Pointing...
She points all of the time now. At fans, lights, the sky. Anything.


Feet...
Recently, she's become fascinated with the bottoms of her feet. So cute.


And my favorite of the day-- we had a crawling contest today, She won. My girl is fast.


I guess I can't believe she's almost a year old. My baby, where has the time gone?





1 comment:

  1. It would be wonderful if we could ask Father Time to slow down just a little. Watching Emerson grow reminds me of when you were little. Time, stand still, please!!!! But here we are, you've grown into a wonderful mama with a precious daughter, and I have so many sweet memories of you both. I am truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete