Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2013

a dream


I dreamed last night that my little bird was just old enough to walk. We were out and about and she walked over to a small gathering of little girls, older than her, maybe 5. She stared at them. Big brown eyes and a shy smile. Like, "Hey, you look like a fun bunch. Can I join you?"  Smiling and trying to figure it all out. I looked on at my fearless baby in that moment, as the world became a little bigger for her. Amazed. It was just a dream, but I know its coming.

You know, I haven't thought much about what life will be like when Emerson is a little older. When the world  becomes more accessible and exists beyond the walls of our home. When her wings will spread just a little wider. I think it's because up until this point, she hasn't been all that mobile. She's been pretty happy sitting up and playing with toys that are within reach. Now, she's standing and tottering from one place to another with a look in her eyes of pure determination, and exhilaration once she's made it to her destination.

Now all I can think about is watching our little girl experience and explore this growing world. How will she approach it? I'm pretty sure it will be without reservation. Fearless and full of love. And I'm pretty sure the world will love her for it.

1 comment: