Pages

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Our Balcony Garden

One of my favorite things about our place in Virginia was our balcony. It spanned the entire width of our apartment and looked over a small, tree lined side street. I had lots of potted plants out there and although we lived in the city, my little balcony garden made me feel miles away from the hustle and bustle of busy city life. Petunias, geraniums, impatiens, oregano, basil and thyme. My little garden was my refuge after a long day at work. I felt inspired and happy while I watered and tended to my flowers and herbs.
My little garden above Hartford Street

When Jared and I moved to the keys, I knew that the tropical climate wouldn't allow for many of my favorite flowers to grow. Especially in the dead heat of summer. But the temperatures in the fall and winter months are perfect for growing. We decided to grow veggies and herbs instead of flowers. Living down here, we are lucky to "live off the land" quite a bit. Jared has brought home plenty of fish, crab and lobster to cook up for dinner. And with our own little balcony garden, we can also enjoy some fresh veggies too.

We've been growing ToMatOEs & PePpErs...

We also planted carrots . They're growing well and should be ready to pick later this month...but I forgot to take pictures of them. Another time!

BaSiL, OrEgAno and tHyMe...

And because I must have flowers, some sun-loving ZiNniAs...

As it turns out, Jared and I have green thumbs. Maybe not bright green, but we did pretty well with our little vegetable garden for first-timers;)

No comments:

Post a Comment